Rossburn Cottage Whiteleys Road Buchlyvie Stirling
Buchlyvie is a small village located approximately 15 miles west of Stirling. It is an agricultural village which developed along the eighteenth century military road between Stirling and Dumbarton. Now a designated conservation area it has12 listed buildings of a variety of ages and architectural styles.
The site occupies a triangular plot of land on the banks of Buchlyvie Burn, to the south west of the village. First appearing on the 1896 Ordnance Survey, it was originally the site of the village slaughterhouse and in later years was adopted for use as a joiner’s workshop and store.
Although the building is not listed it sits within the Buchlyvie Conservation area. It is a single storey structure of clay stock bricks with a slate roof, and represents an unusual example of a rural semi-industrial structure. The original structure has been extended to the south at an unknown date and now comprises two clear but distinct volumes, original 1, and extension 2.
The proposed extension adds a further three distinct volumes to the existing structure; a living space 3, kitchen/dining 4, and a master bedroom 5. The new spaces are designed in plan to track sunlight through the day, and maximise available views and privacy.
The proposed extension does seek to not compete with the existing structure, but borrows its scale and robust pragmatism, and using simple materials completely repurposes the original building to make a modern, modest family home.
The proposal was consented in January 2018.
Structural Engineer David Reid Group Environmental Assessment Kaya Consulting Limited Topographical Survey Hamilton Surveys Ltd